The decision to make your own standing desk is a big one. It will take a degree of commitment, effort and skill. However, it will be cheaper and always have your own essence of self when it comes to the final product.
This guide will take you through the variety of options when it comes to building your own, personalised standing desk. The options will be separated by the difficulty and amount of time it takes to construct each standing desk. No matter which standing desk you decide to make, it will give you a sense of accomplishment and pride.
DIY Standing Desk – A Step By Step Guide
To build your own standing desk, you will require a few pieces of equipment. Below, is a list of all the things you will need to successfully build your own standing desk.
What You Will Need:
- Screws, bolts, brackets, a drill and a screwdriver
- Adjustable joints
- An elevated surface such as a cabinet
- T Square
- Measuring tape
- Your material of choice for legs and base (plastic, metal or wood recommended)
- Take measurements – Once you have everything you need to build your standing desk, it is a good idea to take measurements. This should include your height, arm length and anything else that you believe may affect the way you use your standing desk.
Make sure you have the above materials – You may need to purchase some but they should be fairly low cost.
- Set the base height – For someone between the height of 5.7-5’11 the standing desk will need to be around 3-4’ high. This should be adjusted depending on your height. For the most accurate measurements you should use a T square and a tape measure.
- Centre the desktop with the base and attach the legs – The base should be smooth and flat. It should also be quite wide to allow for better balance with taller desks. Use screws or bolts to attach the legs and ensure they are stable. Measure and remeasure before doing this, to make sure you get the correct balance.
- Make your standing desk adjustable, if you choose – Add clamping joints to the intersection of your desks legs. This will allow you to use your desk for standing at a variety of heights, as well as sitting. This is ideal if you are unsure of your commitment to a standing desk.
- Your standing desk is ready!
Other DIY Standing Desk Options
Working from a different surface – You may have a high set breakfast bar, a chest of drawers or another table that is at the perfect level to be a standing desk.
This solution is already set up so is cost effective and time effective. It is also sturdy.
Heighten your desktop – Make your desktop higher by placing another object on top, such as a coffee table. This will turn a standard desk in to a standing desk at no time or cost. However, it isn’t the most stable of options.
Construct a mounted desk – Making a mounted desk is another easy DIY option. It is also more space efficient than a standing or standard desk. You will need brackets and screws as well as the desk itself so will need a small budget to construct it.
Once you have constructed your standing desk, it is important to use it in the correct manner. You should try to avoid leaning on the desk as it may not support your full body weight and this also defeats the standing desks purpose.
You may still be unsure if a standing desk is for you. Furthermore, standing for too long a period is also not recommended. Therefore, you should try to have an alternative seated working option, to change things up.