Sitting all day long working a 9 to 5 job can drain you out mentally as well as physically. Not only does it lead to physical aches and pains, but it also affects your internal health as well by increasing risks of developing certain diseases such as obesity, diabetes, arthritis, and high blood pressure. To counter these problems, a stand-up desk is an ultimate solution. You are justified in asking what a standing desk is since the product has not yet penetrated the market widely. To give you an idea, standing desks or a stand-up desk converter is a piece of furniture that allows an individual to work while standing. It can be as simple and easy on the pocket as placing a computer monitor on top of a box, or it can be pricey due to the added feature of an adjustable height that can be altered with the push of a button. Adjustable standing/sitting desk designs allow an individual to sit or stand effortlessly and comfortably while working, which is why it is practically the best and safest option.
Are Standing Desks Good for You?
Standing while working may improve blood circulation, which in turn boosts mental focus, increases productivity, enhances collaboration, and burns calories. Manufacturers also claim that standing desks provide numerous health benefits including weight loss, improved mental focus, decreased blood sugar, reduced back pain and higher life expectancy. Factors listed below explain why standing desk worth its purchase:
Burns More Calories
We could say that the obesity epidemic in Western Countries is caused not just by consuming a large amount of processed, fatty, sugary, salty foods but also due to sitting for prolonged periods. Simply choosing to stand instead of sitting when working can be favorable in terms of burning excess calories. When the calories burnt off an inactive desk-bound person are compared with the person standing and working, the person standing and working burnt over 170 additional calories. This distinction leads many to pinpoint the reasons why sitting longer is linked to obesity.
Lower Blood Sugar Level
Studies have revealed that after eating, blood sugar returns to normal level faster in people who spend more time standing than sitting all day. People who remain sedentary after taking food have a 112 percent greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Greater Life Expectancy
A study also showed that people who spend more time standing have half the risk of heart disease-related deaths as compared to those sitting. Sitting idle the entire day is harmful and detrimental that even an hour of exercise may not be able to make up for its adverse effects.
Reduced Back Pain
Studies have shown that prolonged sitting can deteriorate the core muscles, leading to postural problems that may lead to headaches, neck pain, and shoulder pain. On the other hand, standing desks can dramatically reduce chronic back pain caused by prolonged sitting.
However, it is also quite true that standing for an extended period may lead to back, leg, or foot discomfort, instead of alleviating it. Experts, therefore, advised to start the practice of standing slowly instead of standing for straight 2-3 hours on the very first day. The best option is to consider buying a sit to stand desk that individuals can use to sit when exhausted or stand when a change is required.
How to Stand at a Standing Desk?
Standing on a firm and stiff floor for prolonged durations will cause great discomfort resulting in the legs, knees, and feet becoming sore and tender. Therefore, a good standing mat is what every stand-up desk user needs. The standing desk users are required to purchase excellent roundup mats. Some are ergonomic mats with ridges, which allow the feet and legs to relax in different positions. Others are flat mats, which may provide cushioning when used barefoot.
How to Use a Standing Desk?
To enjoy the benefits of using a stand-up computer desk, it is essential to customize the workspace and learn basic body postures as mentioned below:
- Stand up straight while facing the desk. Keep the shoulders back, and allow them to relax with arms hanging freely. In short, maintain a good posture to avoid back pain and fatigue.
- Bend the elbow at a 90-degree angle, keeping your neck upright and wrists straight in front. Adjust the stand-up desk to meet the elbow height in such a way that forearms are parallel with the standing desk surface. Such amendments will prevent the straining of the wrists. Before adjusting, make sure all the computer cables have been unplugged, and there are no movable items on the desktop.
- Position the height of the monitors to just below eye level. If possible, move the monitor to a 1-arms length from the place where you’re standing. Modifying the screen to the correct position will assist in reducing the straining of the eyes.
What is the Best Way to Sit at the Desk?
- Adjust the height of the chair such that the top of the seat is parallel to the base of the knee. Keep the feet flat on the floor. Do not put your entire weight on either one of the feet.
- Bend the elbow at a 90-degree angle, permitting your arms to hang loosely with the armrest hardly touching the elbow. Position the adjustable standing desk until its surface reaches the bottom of the forearm.
- Keep an eye on a posture while sitting. The chair’s backrest should support upright postures while sitting. The backrest should be padded to meet the hollow of the back.
Choosing a Standing Desk for Laptop
Using a laptop while standing is not a good idea, as the height of the screen is significantly lower, which can lead to the straining of the neck. Laptops were designed to be used while placed on the lap, however, owing to their extensive use in this time and age, one may not always have the liberty of sitting comfortably and putting the machine on one’s lap.
A simple solution, therefore, is a laptop standing desk or desk converter that can help a great deal in making you more productive. It has been proven with research that mental performance is maximized when the body is at comfort. Considering the trend of investing in employees’ health and well-being in different organizations, it won’t be wrong to conclude that adjustable standing desks are all set to make an appearance in the offices soon. After all, it’s a win-win situation for both – the businesses as well as for the health of the employees.
Try using a stand up desk yourself and witness the spectacular health benefits it brings! Don’t forget to share your progress with others as well!